AppendPDF and AppendPDF Pro provide a fast and efficient way to combine documents dynamically and on-demand. This documentation provides instructions for both AppendPDF and AppendPDF Pro. Content specific to AppendPDF Pro is followed by a notation: (AppendPDF Pro only).
With AppendPDF and AppendPDF Pro you can:
- Combine documents
- Combine page ranges and sections from a series of documents
- Add Document Information
- Generate a Table of Contents including corresponding PDF bookmarks (AppendPDF Pro only)
- Add a Cover page (AppendPDF Pro only)
- Stamp information onto the finished document — Add watermarks, copyright information, headers or footers to further customize your document delivery (AppendPDF Pro only)
The final presentation is professional and complete.
AppendPDF and AppendPDF Pro use a parameter file to build the new PDF file from lists of several PDF files or specific pages from those files. Two versions of parameter files are supported:
- XML parameter files — Files coded in XML.
- Text parameter files — Plain text parameter files.
This User Guide uses certain styles of text to indicate different things throughout the documentation. The following is a description of these styles:
- Command-line user input examples:
$appendpdfapp -r <Reg Number> -p -l <logfile.txt>
$appendproapp -r <Reg Number> -p -l <logfile.txt> (AppendPDF Pro only)
- Cross Reference to other locations in the documentation: AppendPDF Pro. Click the colored text to go to the referenced link.
- References to web sites for information: www.appligent.com. Click the colored text to open a browser to the website.
- Code snippets: <appendparam version=’1.0′>
- Content that is specific to AppendPDF Pro is followed by the notation: (AppendPDF Pro only).
You may see some paragraphs which look like the following:
Note: These paragraphs are special notes relating to the subject matter where they are located. It is recommended that you read all notes.
Note: For clarity, the examples in this User Guide use truncated path names. We recommend that you use full path names for all files.
In This Guide
The remainder of this guide is divided into the following chapters:
- Parameter Files — XML guides you through the different parts of an XML parameter file and explains how to construct one. This chapter includes the following sub-chapters:
- Parameter Files — Text guides you through the different parts of a text parameter file and explains how to construct one. This chapter includes the following sub-chapters:
- Stamp Files guides you through the different parts of a stamp file and explains how to construct one. Stamp files allow you to place new text or images on your appended documents (AppendPDF Pro only). This chapter includes the following sub-chapters:
- AppendPDF Pro Options describes the command-line options specific to AppendPDF Pro.
- Running AppendPDF Pro builds on the information in the previous chapters and describes running AppendPDF Pro on the command line and provides numerous examples.
- General Options describes the general command-line options available to AppendPDF Pro.
- Applying Standard Security describes how to apply standard Adobe® Acrobat® security to the output file.
- Automating AppendPDF Pro offers guidelines for the more advanced users who are looking for ideas on incorporating AppendPDF Pro into their own scripts and/or programs.
- Command Line Introduction provides a brief introduction to using command-line software on Windows and Mac OS X operating systems.
- Troubleshooting provides a quick list to check if you are getting errors and don’t know why.
- Support tells you how to contact us in case you have any problems working with our software.